Had to. I just had to. This sweet potato buddha bowl has been on constant rotation at my house over the last few weeks. I love that it’s so easy to put together and makes for fantastic meal prep and leftovers.
I prep all of the ingredients at once, store in the fridge and ta-da, I’m ready for a quick, nourishing bowl whenever the mood strikes. Considering that I’m 38 weeks pregnant, that mood is very, very frequent.
The base of this yummy vegan buddha bowl are two staples in my house: crispy tofu nuggets and roasted sweet potatoes. Van is becoming more and more picky by the day when it comes to vegetables but will happily eat sweet potatoes. Fine by me! I love them as well, especially when they are like this; sweet and soft on the inside with just enough texture on the outside.
I could eat crispy tofu all day long and make a pan or two every week. (PS- here’s my guide for crispy baked tofu) Thankfully, Van loves it as much as I do and we happily gobble up half of pan as I prep the rest of the ingredients. Do yourself a favor and make more than you think you’ll need!
Couscous is one of my favorite grains to make in bulk, but you can swap in whatever you like for this bowls. Quinoa, brown rice and millet would make it gluten-free if you need it to be. Then, a simple lemon tahini sauce is all you need to pull everything together.
The prep for these bowls takes ~45-1 hour depending on how quick you are in the kitchen but then you have lunch ALL week long! I invested in a few of these meal prep containers a few years ago and love them to portion out batch meals like this one. I use one of the containers for avocado and seeds, then remove those while I heat up the rest of the ingredients. They are also glass, which is great as I’m always looking for ways to use less plastic, especially in the kitchen.
If you’re looking for a new healthy meal– then you’ve gotta try this one. I know I’ve talked about how easy it is for meal prep, but it’s obviously fantastic as an actual meal.
If you’re looking for more buddha bowl recipes, then I highly recommend my Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowls, Lentil Buddha Bowls, butternut squash buddha bowls, thai coconut buddha bowls and my vegan gado gado bowls. So good. I love all of these recipes and know you will too.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
Roasted Tofu Cubes
- 1 container firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cooked Couscous or other grain of choice
Sliced avocado, seeds for topping
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the sweet potatoes: Cube the sweet potatoes and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and loosely tent with foil. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until crispy.
- Make the tofu: Toss the tofu with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place on a separate baking sheet in a single layer and cook for 20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- While the potatoes and tofu are cooking, slice the kale and cook the couscous.